Call for papers to the 9th Nordic Wood Biorefinery Conference!
The leading event where research and industry meet to discuss recent wood-based biorefinery developmentThe 9th NWBC, 24-26 March 2020
, will present the latest ideas and developments in biorefinery separation and conversion processes as well as new bio-based products from the wood biorefinery. Read more>>Topics:
The conference will cover new research results and industrial experience related to biorefining based on wood and/or on pulp mills:
- Biorefinery systems and processes.
- Biorefinery products: chemicals, materials and fuels.
Apart from technical/scientific process/product subjects, the following aspects will also be addressed:
- Economy and sustainability issues
- Societal needs
- Regional initiatives
Instructions for abstract submission >>Research student opportunities:
- Submission of abstracts for Oral presentations: September 2, 2019
- Submission of abstracts for Posters: November 4, 2019.
- Answer on Oral presentations: October 3, 2019
- Answer on Posters: November 15, 2019
- Deadline for updated 1-page abstracts to printed Book of abstracts (both Oral presentations and Posters): February 14, 2020
- Scholarship award: The foundation Troëdsson Paper Engineering Travel Grant announces via RISE a scholarship award for a postgraduate student who participates in NWBC 2020 with a presentation. The winner is appointed based on performance, the subject's assessed importance and quality. The scholarship applies for a 3-month stay at RISE. Read more>>
- Award: Forest Products Engineers in Finland (PI) announces the Johan Gullichsen Award for a meritious presentation in the field of science and technology of forest products industries given at NWBC 2020. The prize is amounts to 2 000 EUR and is awarded to a young scientist or research student.
- No-Fee possibility: Sponsor contributions will be used to fund no-fee participation in the conference for selected research students at universities within EU, UK and Scandinavia who get a presentation for NWBC 2020 approved. This includes conference fee and evening activities, but not travel or accommodation costs.
- Travel costs: Forest Products Engineers (PI) supports the travelling costs of selected young scientists and research students from Finland (PI membership required)
To apply to one or more of these offers, send your abstract before 4 November 2019, according to "Instructions for abstract submission"
and specify what you apply for.Visit to LignoCity:
An optional site visit is planned on March 27, 2020 to RISE´s lignin plant in Bäckhammar. RISE LignoDemo can produce up to 8 000 t/y of high-quality kraft lignin as a source for biofuels, chemicals and materials. Updates from the LignoCity 2.0 project and RISE Bioeconomy Research Programme will be presented. Whole-day tour with bus trip from Stockholm. Read more about LignoCity >>Preliminary conference fees >>NWBC
is a cooperation between RISE in Sweden and VTT in Finland. The event gathers expert speakers from the chemical, energy, pulp and paper industry as well as recognized representatives from the global research community. The 8th
NWBC gathered over 200 participants in Helsinki 23-25 October 2018. Besides presentations and discussions on plenty of aspects on wood biorefining, the participants got the opportunity to visit St1´s bioethanol plant and VTT´s pilot center. The conference program reflected the growing interest in valorising lignin from both pulp mills and ethanol plants. Another hot topic was the resource efficiency of the kraft process; will future biorefineries process wood with ionic liquids or deep eutectic solvents instead? Read more about the last event >>